Design and Technology
Design and Technology (DT) is important because it encourages pupils to learn to think and intervene creatively to solve problems both as individuals and as members of a team. Children develop technical understanding and making skills, learn about design methods and investigate their environment and the materials around them.
At Greenleaf, we aim to offer opportunities for children:
- to develop imaginative thinking and to enable them to talk about what they like and dislike when designing and making;
- to enable children to talk about how things work, and to draw and model their ideas;
- to encourage children to select appropriate tools and techniques for making a product, whilst following safe procedures;
- to explore attitudes towards the manufactured world and how we live and work within it;
- to develop an understanding of technological processes, products, and their manufacture, and their contribution to our society;
- to foster enjoyment, satisfaction and purpose in designing and making;
- to understand and apply the principles of a healthy diet;
- to understand where food comes from and the issues of seasonality, making best use of our allotment.
In terms of knowledge and understanding, all pupils are encouraged to:
- generate ideas through discussion and experimentation;
- extend knowledge and understanding of a wide range of materials, including construction kits, textiles, food, wood, plastic, and reclaimed/junk materials;
- make use of drawings and models to communicate their ideas;
- evaluate their work and identify strengths and weaknesses in a positive way;
- experiment with simple components, mechanisms and structures;
- learn about health and safety when working with a variety of materials and tools;
- consider risk to themselves and to others and build up a knowledge and understanding of the dangers inherent in certain products and tools;
- experience design technology through off-site visits, where practicable, in order to see technology used in a real environment.
For further information on our expectations for all children in Design Technology by the time they leave Greenleaf, please click here.